Londoners are always hyperbolic about their city, but the only world primacy that London can claim is as creator of bullshit.
- Camden Council made a mockery of the Coroner’s Prevention of Future Death report, by refusing to install the simple and effective ban of left turn at Bloomsbury Way, citing that they needed to see a “pattern of casualties” as if four dead was not enough blood for them.
- Islington Council refused our request to keep the southern end of St John Street rat-run-free, citing that polluting vehicles are “beneficial to all residents, businesses and visitors in the Farringdon area.” As a consequence Victoria Lebrec lost her leg five months later.
- Westminster Council refuses to reduce the speed limit to 30 kph, with Councillor Argar citing bullshit figures and claiming that the case for lower speed limits has not been made; as a consequence, Westminster is the most dangerous place in the UK for people travelling on foot or on bicycle.
- Hackney politicians make class distinctions between people who choose to take the bus and who ride bicycles, as if a normal human being cannot do both. As a consequence, cycling on Hackney roads is a russian roulette that has claimed two lives this year alone
Last but not least in this brief carousel of bullshitting officials is the Metropolitan Police, headed by someone who thinks that cycling is for poor people who cannot even afford a bus pass. These idiots are the greatest victim blamers in town, and whenever the massacre ratchets up, they briefly halt their form-filling and hit the streets, giving tickets to the potential victims.
On 24.01 Rogacs Mihaly, 53, from Hungary; killed by a hit-and-run driver, Romford Road, Redbridge.
On 26.01 Hubert Mallet, 25, from France; killed by a taxi driver, Great Eastern Street, Shoreditch.
On 02.02 Akis Kollaros 34, from Greece; killed by a tipper truck driver, Homerton High Street.
On 06.02 Federica Baldassa, 26, from Italy; killed by an HGV driver, Vernon Place, Holborn.
On 08.02 Janusz Partyka, 31, from Poland; killed by a hit-and-run driver, Wood Lane in Osterley.
On 19.02 Claire Hitier-Abadie, 36, from France; killed by a lorry driver, Victoria.
* We say “at least” because the Metropolitan Police and Transport for London refuse to release timely information about the massacre of pedestrians in the capital. There may be other European pedestrians killed that we are not aware of.
Europeans are not the only victims of traffic violence in London. Here is the list of known victims so far this year.
In addition, tens of people have been severely injured, but no-one is keeping track nor drawing lessons, in spite of there being a legal duty on Local Authorities to do so, under Section 39 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. Yes, yet another piece of bullshit.