- prioritising capacity of the road network over the safety and convenience of active travel,
- prioritising timing of bus services over passengers and pedestrian safety,
- failing to give a clear lead in the adoption of 30kph speed limit across London
- fostering a culture of non-compliance of pedestrian lights, by setting absurdly long waiting times
- prioritising archaic bus routing over the health and safety of millions of shoppers on Oxford Street and many other high streets.
Victim blaming is ingrained in British culture and Hendy was a master; here are a few examples:
- When Dan Harris was killed by a driver of an Olympics bus on a hostile road built for the Olympics, Hendy falsely blamed the victim for cycling on a prohibited road.
- When Brian Dorling was killed by a tipper truck driver, Hendy blamed the victim for riding through a red light when the layout of the junction was the primary cause of the fatal collision.
- The day after Brian Holt was killed by a Crossrail contractor on a blue strip of paint euphemistically called Cycle Superhighway, Hendy told the TfL board that it was important to release mis-information to shift away the blame from Transport for London.
Part of the reason for Hendy’s resilience, despite his record of killings and cover-ups, is that he started his career as a bus driver, and in London it seems you cannot touch this sacred cow; we will defy this stupid rule in a future article.
One of the most sickening piece of bullshit spouting from this vile man was that Transport for London has adopted Vision Zero. In most countries he would have been pilloried for having made such a dishonest remark, but in the world capital of bullshit nothing sticks.
This is only surpassed by the repulsive rejoicing every year when, 6 months late, Transport for London issues road casualty figures boosting that “only” 65 pedestrians have been killed in the previous year. Absolutely no sympathy from Transport for London for the families of those people which would be alive today had they done their job properly.
Hendy’s likely successor comes from the Tube, where the culture of safety is very different.
Just in case Mike Brown gets corrupted by the Bus Mafia, beheaded but still powerful at TfL, here is what needs to happen for London to adopt Vision Zero:
- Renunciation of prioritising “smoothing traffic flow” over safety and comfort of active travel.
- Establishment of an independent investigator over all road in London; failures, ie KSI to be properly assessed with mandatory recommendations. [It is clear that both TfL and Councils flagrantly breach Section 39 of the Road Traffic Act 1988]
- Removal of rat-running through adoption of the Motoring Grid were through traffic is limited to arterial roads
- Re-phasing of pedestrian lights so that waiting time at all but the busiest intersections is reduced to 20 seconds.
- Redirecting “Operation Safeway” to 3 primary goals,
a. enforcing 30 kilometres per hour speed limit
b. ridding London of cowboy lorry operators
c. enforcing Rule 170, disregard of which epitomises #nastyBritain.
We’re sure that the next Mayor will have Vision Zero as a core principle of her/his transport policy, so it is in Mr Brown’s interest to start now to change the culture of the juggernaut.